Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Not So Small Achievement


¡Feliz cumpleaños!



In the whirlwind of the past few months, I completely forgot to recognize a victory in our downtown community. On February 9th, "Soyla's Mexican Cuisine" quietly celebrated completing it's first year of being open for business. Soyla's has ran into a few roadblocks, with mixed reviews, a menu that changes frequently, and hours that can be even more erratic, but with nearly half of all small businesses unable to survive even their first year, Soyla must be doing something right.

I actual was able to go to Soyla's on opening day. I had heard that the restaurant was to be opening when the Wade Trim building in which it is located finally was completed. However, I had heard little more about it, until I happened across a copy of the Journal (then printing 7 days a week) and noticed the headline declaring Soyla's to be open for business. I immediately grabbed a friend and walked there from campus. I remember the food being good, the dining room being full, and the staff being frenzied. What I remember most though, is just the excitement of simply being there. I'm not sure if it was just the Flint nerd in me coming out or what, but I couldn't help but absorb an energy as I ate my enchiladas while looking out of the giant windows at the Capital marquee. I hoped that this would become a very normal experience for downtowners.

Soyla's was the first of this recent string of eateries downtown, and I have to give it props for that. I have since eaten there several times, and like many patrons, I have had mixed experiences. However, I continue to support Soyla and her restaurant because of the delicious food, Soyla's hospitality, and her commitment to the city center.

Here is a recent review of "Soyla's Mexican Cuisine" from fellow blogger Bob Barnett, who's food blog Eating Flint reviews restaurants all over the Flint metro area.

http://eatingflint.blogspot.com/2010/01/can-food-really-save-downtown-flint.html

So whether you have been to Soyla's or not, I encourage you to try it, or try it again, and when you are there, feel free to give Soyla your feedback, and maybe a verse of "Happy Birthday"

No comments:

Post a Comment